Pumpkin pie is a classic dessert that brings warmth and comfort to any table. Whether it’s for Thanksgiving or a cozy fall gathering, this delicious treat is sure to please everyone’s taste buds. In this article, we will walk you through the process of making the tastiest and easiest pumpkin pie you’ve ever tried. With a flaky pie crust and a rich, creamy filling, this pumpkin pie is a true crowd-pleaser. So, let’s roll up our sleeves and get baking!
Ingredients You Need:
- 1 (14.1 oz.) package refrigerated pie crusts
- 1 1/2 cups plus 2 Tbsp. buttermilk, divided
- Parchment paper
- 1 (15 oz.) can pumpkin
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
1. Prepare the Pie Crust:
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit (220 degrees Celsius).
- Take the refrigerated pie crusts out of the package and let them come to room temperature as per the instructions on the packaging.
2. Blind Bake the Crust:
- Line the pie crust with parchment paper, and add pie weights or dried beans to prevent the crust from puffing up while baking.
- Blind bake the crust at 425 degrees Fahrenheit (220 degrees Celsius) for 10 minutes. This will ensure a crispy crust that holds the filling perfectly.
3. Make the Pumpkin Filling:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the canned pumpkin, sugar, ground cinnamon, kosher salt, and vanilla extract.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of buttermilk to the pumpkin mixture and mix until everything is well combined.
4. Add the Eggs:
- Crack the two large eggs and the one large egg yolk into a separate bowl and beat lightly with a fork.
- Incorporate the beaten eggs into the pumpkin filling mixture and stir until smooth.
5. Assemble and Bake the Pie:
- Pour the pumpkin filling into the partially baked pie crust.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees Fahrenheit (165 degrees Celsius).
- Bake the pie at 325 degrees Fahrenheit (165 degrees Celsius) for 35-40 minutes or until the center is set.
6. Garnish the Pie:
- Remove the pie from the oven and let it cool to room temperature.
- Once cooled, garnish the pumpkin pie with unsweetened whipped cream and a sprinkle of grated cinnamon for an extra touch of flavor.
7. Tips and Tricks for the Perfect Pumpkin Pie:
- For an even richer flavor, you can use homemade pumpkin puree instead of canned pumpkin.
- If you prefer a spicier pie, you can add a pinch of nutmeg and ginger to the filling mixture.
- Make sure to let the pie cool completely before serving to allow the flavors to meld together.
Easiest Pumpkin Pie Ever | Thanksgiving Recipe
Can I use homemade pie crust instead of a refrigerated one?
Absolutely! While a refrigerated pie crust is convenient, using a homemade crust can add a special touch to your pumpkin pie. If you have a favorite pie crust recipe, feel free to use it for this pumpkin pie.
Is buttermilk necessary in the filling?
Yes, buttermilk adds a tangy and creamy texture to the filling, enhancing the overall flavor. However, if you don’t have buttermilk, you can use regular milk as a substitute.
Can I make this pumpkin pie ahead of time?
Certainly! You can bake the pie a day in advance and keep it refrigerated until serving. Just make sure to cover it with plastic wrap to prevent it from drying out.
How do I know when the pie is done baking?
The pie is ready when the center is set but slightly jiggles when you gently shake the pan. If you insert a knife into the center, it should come out clean.
Can I freeze leftover pumpkin pie?
Yes, you can freeze leftover pumpkin pie for up to a month. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and thaw it in the refrigerator before serving.
Can I add nuts or raisins to the filling?
Absolutely! If you enjoy the added crunch of nuts or the sweetness of raisins, feel free to incorporate them into the filling before baking.
Making a mouthwatering pumpkin pie has never been easier! With a flaky pie crust and a rich, creamy pumpkin filling, this dessert is the perfect treat for any occasion. Whether you’re an experienced baker or a novice in the kitchen, this step-by-step guide will ensure your pumpkin pie turns out perfect every time. So, gather your ingredients, preheat your oven, and get ready to savor the taste of the coziest dessert of the season. Happy baking!